Saturday, May 16, 2009

12 hours to go....

SO, today was a little more stressful than I thought - my apprehension comes and goes in waves and I didnt think I would finish everything, but my mom and I went to Wal-Mart, bought a ton of snacks and the other supplies I need and went to her house for dinner.

She said the guys at the Ranch would probably beat me up because of the kinds of things I was bringing. I needed a couple fluffy towels (I dont like using other people's), I needed body wash, not bar soap, allergen free detergent, and some good gossip magazines. I also wanted SPF 40 sun block and I wanted face moisturizer - I mean, what good is a good head of hair, a healthy body, and a life of sobriety if I am too sun damaged to enjoy the benefits. I mean, drinking was a great way to get laid at a bar, and now that that's out, I have to rely on my charm and nice tight, clean skin! (Once I am out, that is. This is a men's ranch, and I don't want to be living any Brokeback Mountain experiences while I am there. ) It helps that the other person might be drunk. I'm still counting on the lack of inhibition from other people, I suppose.

Jack said that coffee is a commodity at the Ranch and if I brought some, I would be hugely popular, and hell, who doesn't want to be hugely popular in rehab - so I bought a bunch of candy, a couple huge cans of coffee and I hope I am set. I have to wonder what kinds of lives some of these guys must have led before going to the ranch when coffee is a commodity. But, regardless, I don't mind starting out on the right foot at this place, and bribery is usually a good way to get people to like you.

I got back to my parent's house and my brother and sister-in-law brought over dinner to say good-bye. My sister bought me a nice long book and another can of coffee and a nice card. She exclaimed in the card, 'I can't wait to see the new you!' - which choked me up, but I managed a hug and had to immediately retire to the next room to compose myself. It's great to have a supportive family. I've said it before and I will say it again, few people are successful at anything unless a lot of people want them to be.

So, tonight, I have a ton of things to pack and organize, I have like ten lists going! And, I am still really exhausted from working on this blog until 6am this morning, getting three hours of sleep, and jumping up to get the confirmation call from Jack. I tend to be a little cranky when I lack sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment